Thursday, October 17, 2019

Unity Tutorial 3

For our latest Unity game editor tutorial we were taught step by step how to create a working clock that operates in real time. Thankfully we were given a break from Jimmy Vegas videos for this one, instead we were given a step by step article to help us out.

To make the face of the clock we used variations of shapes such as cubes and cylinders and reshaped and re-positioned them to match the layout of a clock,  we then used C# coding to animate the clocks arms to move in conjunction with the correct time. In assessment I wasn't actually a big fan of this tutorial, yes we were able to learn some C# but only how to use it to do this one specific thing (make the clock move), I don't think this can translate very well into a functional tool we can use to create our final game. As well as this I had some problems with the editing itself, I don't know if the guide was using an out of date version of unity or if the instructions were unclear but I had trouble correctly setting each hour indicators at the correct rotation, plus the option to change the color of them was grayed out and I've no idea why. So ultimately while my clock did end up working it resembled a pancake more so than it did a clock.

(How our final effort should of looked, mine did not look like this at all)

No comments:

Post a Comment