Thursday, October 3, 2019

Workshop 01

For my most recent assignment I worked from a Unity game editor tutorial. There were 2 separate tutorials, the first of which covered a few things, one of which was how to import sound files into the editor and assign them to different objects, it also showed how to bring textures into the editor and use them in tandem with shapes to create walls. These skills will be useful for my final project, walls and textures are the literal foundation of a games level while being able to attach sound effects to an object will be necessary when making collectibles for the player to pick up.

The second of these tutorials covered a few different things, but primarily it thought me how to create a cursor as well as how to resize and reshape it as I see fit. I'm definitely going to include a cursor in my final game, since it'll make collecting objects and interacting with things like doors much easier for the player. The tutorial also went into ray-casting, which is used to determine a players line of sight, or perhaps how far a thrown object would travel.

For this assignment I completed the work on Unity in tandem with the tutorial videos. It was easy enough to follow along with the video, one problem I encountered with this however was that the creator of the tutorial videos (Jimmy Vegas) was using a different version of the Unity game editor than me so I wasn't able to follow along for certain parts. As well as this it seemed he had some parts of the tutorial pre-loaded while I started from scratch which also made it more difficult to follow.
Overall though I enjoyed the assignment and i'm legitimately looking forward to learning more about how to use Unity since I do enjoy making games. Plus everything I learned from the videos feels applicable to my final project, which does make you more enthusiastic about learning more as you aren't just learning random stuff you're never going to use.


("Gone Home" a game created using Unity game maker)
Source: Wikipedia.org

No comments:

Post a Comment