Sunday, October 6, 2019

Game Brainstorm


Game Idea No.1 

My first concept for a game would be an adventure game set in a huge map, in which the primary appeal of the game is its visual and audio aspects. A game like this wouldn't require have advanced features, but would include elite map design and a top-tier soundtrack. My inspiration for this concept comes from the game Journey, in which the player traverses a vast desert to get to a mountain in the distance. The majority of the game is simply walking and contains practically no dialogue but was still able to become one of the most critically acclaimed games in recent history. Of course however, if done wrong this concept could easily be seen as boring and lacking features so it would be a high risk choice. Here's some gameplay of "Journey"

(Gameplay of "Journey") 
Source: Reddit.com


Game Idea No.2

My second idea for a game is a puzzle/platform type game. This concept would rely on clever and increasingly difficult puzzles and challenges that the player would have to solve in order to progress through the game. My inspiration for this game comes from the "Portal" franchise in which the player advances through several rooms each with a unique puzzle the player(s) must solve by using the franchises signature portal mechanic. The thing that separates the "Portal" franchise from other puzzle games is this unique mechanic which completely changes how the player has to approach each puzzle. My game would have to revolve around some kind of unique mechanic such as a speed boost, teleportation or throwing objects to imitate the kind of game changing effect the Portal series uses, which i'm confident I can come up with. The game would probably utilize multiple levels and raycasting as well.
Here's some gameplay of Portal 2

(Portal 2 gameplay)


Game Idea No.3

My third idea for a game is a stealth based game, the main premise of this game would be you have to avoid being spotted by an enemy and make it to a certain point. A mechanic that I thought might be interesting would be the ability to kill/eliminate the enemy when you manage to get behind them, however if you're caught inside their cone of vision you would be insta-killed. With the added dimension of you being able to kill the enemy it would became a matter of outmaneuvering them and not getting trapped in a position where you cant escape them from. Some other mechanics I could include would be hiding in lockers/under beds and using distractions. Perhaps the enemy could be blind, so they cannot directly see you but enclose you by following the noise you produce. This kind of game would allow for a lot of creative options but would take more effort to produce. Two inspirations I drew from are "Amnesia" and "Alien: Isolation" both games involve you outsmarting much stronger enemies to survive in an environment where you are the prey. They also contrast how the different intelligence's of the enemies can reshape the game, the monsters in Amnesia simply chasing you when they see you while the alien in Alien: Isolation hunts you down based on where you last were and even checks hiding spaces, becoming progressively more aware of your tactics.

(Alien: Isolation gameplay)
Source: Videobilly.com


Game Idea No.4

My final idea for a game is probably my favorite. It's a shooter that is pretty much a parody of every traditional shooter game. It's inspired by a game created by the creators of the game "Bulletstorm" (Epic) in which the game parodies one of their competitors "Call of Duty" in hilarious fashion. The game which would go on to be called "Duty Calls" would pretty much make fun of popular cliches in well known shooter games such as "Call of Duty", "Halo" and "Counter-Strike" among others. This kind of game would be comedy based and is the kind of thing that I specialize in, taking the piss out of things. I'd utilize raycasting for the shooting in the game and the comedic undertones mean that graphics and character models wouldn't need to be top quality, allowing me to focus on other aspects of the game. I feel like this is a concept I can run with, despite my lack of overall thought put into it so far. Here's gameplay of the legendary "Duty Calls".

(Gameplay of "Duty Calls")
Source: Softonic.com

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam,

    I really like the genres and variety of games you explored throughout your brainstorm. I like the idea of the adventure game you chose as I feel it would be unique yet risky as you have said. I really like shooter games too so I definitely think creating a game similar to the one you have linked would be really interesting but also very challenging so I would like to see where you could go with that.

    Overall I think that you have put a lot of thought into some really cool games and it will be cool to see what you choose to focus on!

    -Dylan

    ReplyDelete