Sunday, October 20, 2019

Game Vision Statement

My Half Baked Video Game Idea I Came Up With At 4am At Night

So the game I was thinking of making would be a kinda adventure style game,  it would be played in the first person and the emphasis of the game would be more about the environment and soundtrack than any kind of fast paced action, in a similar way to the game "journey".


("Journey" the game)

The game would start the player off in a circular area with an alter in the middle, around this area there are 4 gates, each gate having terrain/mountains visible beyond it. Each of these gates will lead to a different area, with a large open landscape themed around an element. One area will be themed around fire (think volcanoes and lava), one around water (ice mountains), one around air (floating pieces of terrain), and one around earth (forests). Each of these areas will have a collectible at its furthest point, omitting a bright light into the sky that is always visible to the player in order to guide them, the player must traverse the terrain and acquire the collectible, they will then be returned back to the starting position, with the collectible filling the alter 1/4 of the way and prompting the player to enter the remaining areas to repeat the process. When they collect all 4 items the alter activates and teleports them to a world of shadows, for one final journey.


("The 4 Elements")

Obviously this concept is going to rely on beauty and visual impact to connect with the player, to assist in this I thought I would add build-up instrumental music, songs that can get the player invested in the game. I thought a nice touch would be to use a unique song for each area, each one representing the kind of environment the player is traversing.

Potential soundtracks I've identified so far


Fire Realm (Fiery and intimidating) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga8yUafqiLM


Earth Realm (????) -


In terms of story and narrative i'm not sure how heavily they will be featured, currently i'd need a theme of the collectible objects and a reason for the players actions and journey to complete a full storyline but i'm open to the possibility of leaving the story's meaning as ambiguous, which could be the better option but i'll put more thought into that and get back to it.

In regards to production, the game should be easy enough to make, it more than likely wont feature any super advanced features unless I find a way to incorporate them. For the most part the player will be walking, swimming, jumping, collecting collectibles and potentially moving objects to solve puzzles in order to advance. Of course i'll probably need to spend a quarter of my life creating the landscape for each area but i'll cross that bridge when I get there. 

Overall I'm looking forward to expanding on this game, it definitely has potential to flop and be mind blowingly boring but I think that if I get everything just right I can create something enjoyably unique. Anyway, that's my game so far, thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. Well a good day to you Adam!!

    After having a thorough read through of your vision for your game, I must say that I very much so enjoyed your concept that you have created here. I love the sense of adventure games, especially in the realm where we don't know what the world is like itself and we want to explore it to witness all of it's beauty and wonder that is created. I like your idea that you are not so sure about your story and sometimes it's nice to have to take a step back and think about why your character is here and what was their purpose for doing this journey that brought them their in the first place. I give you commitment when you know that we are all only starting out on our journey of making our own first games ourselves that we will at least try and making something out of it and that works in the end.

    Anyhow I do look forward to how this game will work out as I know that you will make something truly great and special.

    Cheerio!!!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam
    This was a good idea for a game so coming with a game at 4am at night is a good way to come with an idea for a game. Making a game like Journey is a good idea. This game seems well thought out and an interesting idea that sounds unique. So I think when you make this into a game it will turn out well.
    Jamie Gannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adam

    I really liked your blog o your game especially this amazing concept of following the journey not the setting as i feel a lot of games don't focus on the way the game is going or will end up. Have you possibly considered may using random quests or side activities to allow the character to have more of a feeling of free reign in the game or could I even suggest the player possibly being offered multiple choices for decisions or dialog that will affect how the story takes place which could even persuade the players of the game to replay it in order to see what the other choices they did not make the first time round adding replay ability. Similar to the Fallout or Skyrim franchise.

    Best of luck with the game.I am looking forward to seeing ho it progresses in the future. Keep up the good work.

    -Dillon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Adam,

    I really like your idea of having four different terrains with a collectible in each terrain. This will be great for changing up the player’s game experience. I also liked the idea of having a bonus terrain when the first four collectibles are collected. This will be exciting for the player when they find out there is a bonus level which they probably weren’t expecting. I think it is also a great idea to have a unique song for each area. This will make it easy for the player to know they are in different surrounding and will allow for a unique experience in each terrain. I think it may be time consuming to make four separate terrains so it could be wise to make one overall terrain but split it into four different areas. I think you could then add more collectibles to each area to make up for not having four big induvial terrains. I still think the game would look amazing this way. I would consider adding in some more obstacles such as maybe moving enemies that you have to avoid in certain areas. I think making certain obstacles more challenging in certain terrains would be another idea as well so the player notices a rise in difficulty as they enter a new terrain.

    I have left some suggestions that might be of use to you above. I hope you have fun making your game.

    -Ciaran

    ReplyDelete