Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Week 9 Reading and Writing

Overall the reading and writing assignments that we've been given for this module are going pretty well. Ive been able to get the vast majority of them done and they're a lot more straight forward then other work we do for this module. My favourite reading by far has been the reading that we've done regarding the elements that make a good game (objectives, rules, themes etc.) and how they effect the aforementioned game, mainly because it's an aspect of games that i've never thought about and when you take a good look at it it seems trivial. One example that caught my interest was that the theme can make the rules of the game a lot more clear, in chess if a piece is called a knight it gives no indication that it moves in a L shape, however in a game like Civ 5 if a farmer is called a farmer, its pretty clear that this dude farms.

In relation to the game i'm creating the readings haven't been helping much, mainly just because they're irrelevant to my game since the majority of the mechanics we discussed aren't applicable to said game. However, I have learned a new way to approach games that i'll very likely adopt in the future. Overall i'm happy with the progress i've made on my game so far, i'm still a little bit behind on my 1st playable/alpha but I still think i've done well up to this point. My biggest accomplishment has probably been uploading every post on time for the first 5/6 weeks since i'm now having to neglect doing some posts in favour of working on other modules, those first 5/6 weeks though probably should of gotten me a big percentage of my grade.


(Regarding my favourite image so far i'd probably go with this one. Theres very little images in contention for this coveted award so this one takes it. Reason being is that its from a reading I did that talked about how Diablo 2 is considered a MMO game despite hosting a maximum of 8 people. Just something that caught my interest and something to relates to the fundamentals of what makes a game a certain type of game.)

In terms of looking forward to the future in this module? I'd probably say that i'm interested in how my game will turn out and I think it'll be a lot of fun to finish. I'm still pretty rookie with unity but I think a few more Jimmy Vegas videos should solve that. Otherwise I don't think I have any worries going into the final stages of the module.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adam,

    I really like your blog, I get where your coming from with week 5/6, I mess up of week 5 and lost most of the marks for that week, so I get where you coming.

    It's interesting that you find elements of a good game your favourite, I do agree it's an interesting one but personally I prefer the MDA reading.

    I can't wait to read your blog again in the future !

    Y.I.S
    Sarah H

    ReplyDelete