Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Workshop 1

For my CDM module Multimedia Development we participated in a workshop in which we had to create a sequence/flow chart detailing the steps and process a driver must go through when using traffic lights at a 4-way junction. We basically dumbed the process down to the simplest description possible in groups of 3. Personally I used cardinal directions to indicate which traffic lights were green and which were red. For example, when the northern traffic lights were green the western lights were lit correspondingly. This project was something different from what I was used to as we essentially broke down the everyday concept of traffic lights into a simple step by step process.

From this project I learned that breaking things down into a step by step process can be challenging, even straight-forward things like traffic lights can prove difficult to analyse in their plainest form. I enjoyed working in a group for this project because we got to see and learn how our peers break down fundamental processes and think in different ways. Overall I enjoyed the project as well as the interactivity of it, it was fascinating for me to try and breakdown the various possible outcomes of the traffic lights and arrange them into as simple a formula as possible with the use of a flow chart.

One thing that I simultaneously liked and disliked about the project was the lack of a solid correct answer. Each member of my team had different interpretations of how the final flow chart should look and this caused some short delays. As well as this me and my team knew pretty much nothing about how a 4 way junction, or how driving works for that matter. So it took us a while at the start to wrap our heads around it.

If I was to choose an image that reflects my thoughts on this first workshop it would be this one,
(Some happy people)
Source: Pixabay.com

It was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment